Manually install WordPress
note: If you have website hosting from ogderek you can use softaculous to install wordpress for you.
Still want to do it manually? Let’s get started!
- Download the WordPress package to your local computer from https://wordpress.org/download/.
- Unzip the downloaded file to a folder on your local computer.
- Upload your files to the desired location via FTP or FILE MANAGER.
- Double-check you uploaded all your files in the correct spot (normally user/public_html/)
Creating Your MySQL Databse
- Log into cPanel.
- In the Databases section, click the MySQL Database Wizard icon.
- Create A Database, enter the database name and click Next Step.
- Create Database Users, enter the database user name and password and click Create User.
- Add User to the Database, click the All Privileges checkbox and click Next Step.
- Complete the task, make note of the database name, username and password, as you will need them
Configuring your WP-Config.php File
note: wp-config-sample.php file is located in File Manager in the folder where you installed WordPress.
- Log into cPanel.
- In the Files section, click the File Manager icon.
- In the pop-up box, select Web Root and check the box for Show Hidden Files (dotfiles), then click Go.
- From the left navigation menu in File Manager, click public_html to expand the folder.
- Click the folder containing the WordPress installation.
- On the right side of the File Manager screen, locate the wp-config-sample.php file.
- Right-click on the file, select Rename and change the name of the file to wp-config.php. Click the Rename File button.
- Right-click on the wp-config.php file and select Code Edit. When the file opens, look for the following information:
/** MySQL database username */
/** MySQL database password */
take note you’ll need to replace the above with your info, pass, user, database etc.)
When done editing, click the Save Changes button, then close the file.
9. When done editing, click the Save Changes button, and close the file.
Connecting and Running the Installation
Now in your web browser navigate to your website path, usually:
On this page, fill in the fields for:
- Site Name
- Password (needs to be entered twice)
- Email address (login information will be sent to this email address)
- Select whether or not to have the search engines index the site
- Click Install Now, and you should be taken to the final screen, showing the following message:
Success! WordPress has been installed.